I know, why would I write a post called "thoughts on dating"? But the truth is I just read this two awesome blog posts by author Donald Miller about how preparing for marriage is like training for a marathon and I want to share them with you. He speaks with brutal honest words about how we search for partners for life and it reminded me of several things my mom always said when I was growing up.
Mom also used the illustration of running a race straight towards the Lord. As you are running, you might find some other people on the trail and run with them for a little bit. But ultimately they might slow down (and drag you with them) or veer off the trail and you realize you aren't really heading towards the same finish line. But at some point you might finding yourself running at the same speed, in the same direction and realize 'hey I think I want to run with this person forever!' My favorite is seeing Mom act out this illustration, but you get the idea. A simple truth but it can transform the way you see relationships.
Although Mom surely did her best to remind me of these things, it took a while for my heart to really catch on. And although David and I weren't completely in the same place when we met, the Lord really used our college years to teach us how to run towards HIM in our relationship. But the truth is, most of our friends (and siblings) are out of college now and it is so much harder to really stay true to what ultimately believe about relationships.
So this blog post is for my friends (and siblings) who are yearning for spouses or anyone younger who really wants to hold out for the right guy rather than just someone right now.
Check out Donald Miller's posts right here:
Just to really entice you to go and read them, here are some of his hilarious and honest truths:
"Lose your loser friends"
"In other words, guys don’t hook up with girls they would marry. They marry the girls they get nervous around and are made to pursue."
"Honesty is very rare, and an honest girl is a girl you can build a family with, regardless of her past."
"Why not give yourself to the one who didn’t care whether you got fat than give yourself to the one who makes you feel like you’ve got to throw up after eating a lolly-pop? That kind of love story sucks so stop living it!"
i read both of these too!! from twitter??
ReplyDelete