Friday, December 18

Holiday Traditions

I love traditions! Whether they are good or "bad," the control-freak side of me loves to anticipate these regular events in my life. Let me share one of my favorite Christmas traditions - my immediate family can tell you that despite everyone's protests, I make my family go to the neighborhood Moravian Church, Little Church on the Lane, for the 2 pm Christmas Eve service - but you have to get there at 1 pm to reserve seats, thereby ensuring that your back is sore before the service even begins. And the service ends with one of our family's favorite inside jokes - the song "Morning Star" sung by children with terrible voices. Our family laughs about it for days afterwards! No-one actually enjoys it besides my dad and I (he grew up going to the same service and shares my admiration for tradition!). But we still go every year!

But establishing holiday traditions for David and I has been dificult because we spend the holidays in a different place every year. Last year we lived in Atlanta and spent Christmas Eve and morning with my family. This year we live in Houston and will spent Christmas Eve and morning with David's family. So when and how will we begin to develop our own family traditions??

If we stay in Houston for a while, I know one thing we will add to our list - Lights in the Heights!! We heard about this fun event from several people but still didn't know quite what to expect. Basically, this area called Woodland Heights picks two streets each year to have a giant block party - all to celebrate who can decorate their house the best. A lot of the families bring in bands or carolers and have parties and everyone who comes to see it just walks up and down the blocks with their coolers/beverages in wagons. Since the weather in Houston stays in the 50s and 60s throughout December, it is really fun to be outside and feel festive. Check out some of our fun pictures from last weekend!

Sorry for the poor quality - they were all taken with David's phone.





the parade....you can't see it but this "Santa" was drinking a beer on his vespa.










So next year - the plan is to dress up in tacky Christmas sweaters, get people together for a quick dinner beforehand and then walk the streets with a group of friends and a wagon! Can't wait for 2010 Lights in the Heights!

And if you are lucky enough to live in Houston, you might have gotten one of these fun homemade gifts. (note: I was trying to get more artsy with taking pictures!)


Funfetti cupcakes for the guys in David's office



We gave mom's famous sweet tea!!! we're bringing it to Houston!

So, do share. What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions??

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what my favorite tradition is since we are constantly changing. I guess that is good so I don't get disappointed when things change. Traditions are great when they work but for me just being with my family is always a treat. It's not confined to a place.
    I think of the ending of the Grinch of all the Whos in Whoville holding hands and singing. I might need to watch it again and remind myself of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a nativity in the house that is displayed on the hearth in our den. Every year I put it out -minus baby Jesus ( he hasn't been born yet)
    On Christmas morning Sam runs into the den and there lying in the manger is Baby Jesus. Then we sing Happy Birthday to our Savior.It is my favorite tradition (but the key is not to forget to put Baby Jesus in the manger)

    ReplyDelete