So Houston weather has been GORGEOUS lately! The humidity hasn't ramped up and its been a balmy 75 degrees everyday for at least the last 3 weeks. Instead of running our (expensive) air conditioning, David and I have just been opening the windows and running the fans at home. Even though we don't have a patio, it makes our living room feel like we are outside!
So obviously, its a great time to visit Houston - and that is just what my parents did for Easter weekend! We could tell that the weather was starting to heat up and I am embarrassed to say that in my stubborness I still refused to turn on the AC! My poor parents were trying to be polite but by Saturday afternoon they just couldn't take it anymore and begged me to turn on the air conditioning! I finally gave in but still felt really bad for making them sweat during the first 3 days of their trip! Whoops!
Of course, our air conditioning wasn't the key focus of our weekend, but I just thought it was funny. Overall, we had a wonderful and relaxing weekend. They flew in Thursday afternoon and we spent the evening at our house making crispy fish tacos with this YUMMY lime corn relish and lime sauce.
David also made some killer margaritas.
My pretty corn relish!
So while I started strong with the pictures, we slacked off for the most of our visit (despite my dad's frequent reminders that he wanted to be on the blog!). On Friday we talk a long walk in the Heights neighborhood, where David and I will be moving in 3 weeks (I know, crazy - 4th move in 2 years....more details to come) and had lunch at Central Market, a foodie paradise. We showered up and then went to a fun dinner at this newish restaurant called Branch Water Tavern. Our early reservation time also meant that we got to take advantage of the "happy hour specials," which Dad was happy about! We also rented the movie "Good Hair," which is surpisingly good - very fascinating!
On Saturday, mom and I got to do some shopping while the boys hung out at home. We then took them to eat at Little Bigs for some sliders and homemade fries. We were stuffed and had to nap/relax for a little bit before taking another long walk around Rice University that afternoon. We decided to cook at home that night and made a yummy dinner of salmon, garlic lemon broccoli and spinach salad. We played some pretty intense games of Spades until Dad's allergies got the best of him and they headed to bed.
A family photo, thanks to self-timers.
Mom and I discussing recipes.
Fixing dessert.
On Sunday, I made little Easter bags for everyone - mostly full of candy but a few little gifts. It was fun to play hostess! Then we celebrated Easter at our church, Grace Bible Church, and then had an amazing brunch at this restaurant called Shade. Once again, we were so stuffed by the big meal that we had to take naps afterwards, before rounding out the afternoon with another intense Spades game. Sadly, it was time for them to fly back home but we promised to not let another 3 month gap go by without seeing each other! We will be back up there in less than a month!
The little Easter bags.
Our Easter picture!
I just think my mom is so cute!
So that was our Easter!! Tonight we are headed up to David's boss' farm, Adkins Orchard to spend the weekend, just the two of us! We are looking forward to relaxing before hosting some more visitors (David's parents!!) next weekend. Check back on Monday for pictures of our weekend retreat and Astros game from this weekened!
1. moving again? craziness. can't wait to hear the story AND see new pictures!
ReplyDelete2. you're right. your mom IS cute. so cute.
3. your dad is cute too :) can't leave him out! so glad they got to come and eat... i mean visit!
4. the word of the day = cute, because that is the only word to describe you as a hostess. easter baskets and lime salsa. amazing.
Yes your Mom is cute -she takes after her older(but much younger looking sister) it's all DNA. I can't wait for my trip to Houston.
ReplyDelete