Tuesday, October 19

Best Potato Salad EVER.

I realize that is a bold statement to make, but I truly have found the best potato salad ever. It combines almost ALL of my favorite things into one - baby red potatoes, blue cheese, bacon, and balsamic vinegar. Are you drooling yet??

To keep your mouth watering for a few more moments, let me explain how I discovered this life changing recipe. I have over a years worth of magazines stocked up - Cooking Light, Real Simple and Southern Living. And since I am always trying to get David to throw away superfluous stuff, he asked me to do the same. Reasonable request, except that I love these magazines and couldn't part with them! But the practical side of me prevailed and I decided to flip back through each magazine one more time and do two things....

1. Cut out any decorating ideas (I have a little red notebook that I keep those in)

2. Cut out any recipes that I have been meaning to try! Because really, how do you remember which issue of which magazine actually had that recipe for sauteed scallops and pan-fried polenta??

So the best way to preserve the essence of each magazine, clear up some much needed space in the house AND have a constantly revolving list of recipes to try resulted in this ->


becoming this ->




(I apologize for the shabby quality - last two were taken by my phone)

But you get the picture, pretty binder filled with yummy recipes to try! I will admit that I never did cut into my Real Simple, which is too sacred to shred to peices. And thus, I discovered the 'Best Potato Salad EVER,' which I have made three times in the last three months. So, without further ado, here is the recipe (courtesy of Southern Living).

Big Daddy's Grilled Blue Cheese and Bacon Potato Salad

3 lb. baby red potatoes, cut in half
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 c. white balsalmic vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 c. thinly sliced red onion
4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

1. Preheat grill to 350 - 400 degrees (medium-high) heat. Place potatoes ina single layer in the center of a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring up foil sides over potatoes; double fold top and side edges to seal, making 1 large packet.
2. Grill potatoes, in foil packet, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes on each side. Remove packet from grill. Carefully open packet, using tongs, and let potatoes cool 5 minues.
3. Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add potatoes, tossing gently to coat. Stir in onion, blue cheese and bacon.
4. ENJOY!!

*Catie's comments: Although grilling sounds amazing, I am usually too lazy for that and just end up boiling the potatoes. Baking the bacon is my preferred method. I have been using gorgonzola instead of blue cheese because they are fairly interchangeable for me and I like the sound of gorgonzola better. You can use dark balsalmic vinegar instead of white but then you potato salad will be dark. It is worth it to use white - it is my new favorite kitchen ingredient! This is a great addition to any cookouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment