Monday, May 31

House Update!

In the last week I have finally been able to make some progress in turning our new house into our new HOME!! It all started when David went out of town this week......

I have this tendency to make big purchases (or at least big to us!) while David is out of town. I guess my creative juices and checkbook start flowing when he is not around. Previous "trip" purchases include our two leather chairs, armoire, Monet painting, etc. So this past week, while David was in NY, I had to keep up the trend. We had been searching for something to go in our kitchen - to serve as extra counter space, storage and to just round out the room a bit. We had looked all over - IKEA, Nadeau, Pottery Barn, antique stores and just couldn't figure out exactly what we wanted. And lo and behold, the day after David takes off, I am scouting out this store up the street called "Alabama Furniture" and find this beauty.....
While it might not seem like much to you, I am instantly drawn to anything green and especially unique peices. I loved that this has ample storage (just what I need to hold tableclothes, placemats and serving platters) and that it was marked down over 50%! Unlike most big purchases when I just buy it and hope David isn't too mad, I decided to put this one on hold and email him some pictures to get his approval. Whether he was tired of looking or knew that he would lose this battle, he went along with it. And so on Tuesday, I hauled this whole peice into our kitchen all by myself!

The mirror just slides into the back and since we didn't want that in our kitchen (it would block the window), we took the mirror out and will hang it in our guest room. This cute peices was exactly what I needed and wanted for our kitchen and was the final peice to finishing this room. So without further ado, here are the "finished" pictures of our country kitchen.

our little coffee bar

One end of the kitchen. The stove is so old that the pilot light stays lit ALL the time, so the stove is always slightly warm. It really freaked me out at first.

The long end of the kitchen - although the cabinets are all old, I love the country feel of them. And it is nice to have lots of storage.

details....above the sink

did you make it onto our invitation wall? right now these are all being held up by tape but I hope to get some cute little magnets (maybe at the dollar spot at Target?) so that I don't waste tape.

the while enchilada (with my morning coffee in the left corner)
I love the splash of color that our new peice brings to the kitchen and that it balances out the counter space on the left.

You are also getting a little sneak peak into the dining room (even though its really more like a breakfast nook)....but I am waiting on David and his dad to hang a few pictures in their next weekend before I show you that finished room!

So now that the kitchen is finished, I have been gaining speed.....the dining room is 90% finished, the bathroom is finished (I will post pictures later this week), and the master bedroom is one giant leap closer since I spent ALL DAY Saturday and Sunday painting it!

I knew I needed a big project to keep me busy this weekend since David's nose was going to be stuck in his CFA books, so I set out to convert our master bedroom from a loud yellow mess to a soothing green paradise. Since we have 12 ft. ceilings, David did have to help me tape and edge the top, but I literally did all of the priming and two coats of green by myself.

See the paint samples in the right corner?

We ran out of tape. oops!

yay for no more yellow!

At this point, after 8 straight hours of painting, the exhaustion is overtaking me. I am also running out of paint, so this wall ended up looking pretty bad until I went back over it with a second coat.

I will leaving you hanging there - you will have to come back in a month or so to see the finished bedroom!

While we aren't doing too much to the outside of the house (we are only renters after all), we did pick up some cute hanging plants for our front porch. So hopefully this cuteness will entice you to visit!

1 comment:

  1. Catie your house is so adorable. I really love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete